I just love how my brain makes connections between things. It gives me ideas for these posts. I also love how a single phrase can have more than one meaning.
In a recent message, my pastor told us how you can remember the order of the small epistles in the Bible.
Gentiles Eat Pork Chops, or Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians.
So when I heard during a movie, one guy saying to another, “Why are you always busting my chops?” the connections began.
The phrase “busting my chops” means to exert a significant amount of energy or work very hard to do, accomplish, or complete something. It also means irritating someone with excessive nagging, harassing, or criticism, and to tease, ridicule, or mock.
So here I am, busting my chops, trying to earn my chops (to show ability, skill or competence in a certain area) in my walk with God, when satan, while licking his chops, began busting my chops, trying to chop me up by flapping his chops (chattering and blathering) trying to get me off course.
That’s a lot of different chops!
So how do we stand firm? Here are some guidelines from Charles Stanley.
- Pray for a daily passion and hunger for God and His Word. (Matthew 4:4)
- Pray for an obedient heart to both hear and apply what you learn from God’s Word daily. (James 1:22)
- Pray for a mind of discernment. (Philippians 1:9-10)
- Pray for knowledge of God’s will daily. (Colossians 1:9-10)
- Pray to know the love of Christ more deeply. (Ephesians 3:14,18,19)
- Pray to know the hope and riches of your glorious inheritance. (Ephesians 1:16)
- Pray for strength and endurance daily. (Ephesians 3:16)
- Pray for a greater understanding of God’s power within you. (Ephesians 6:10, 1 John 4:4)
- Pray for an ever-increasing faith daily. (Mark 9:24)
- Pray that you do not succumb to temptations. (Matthew 6:13)
- Pray to develop the Fruit of the Spirit richly and responsibly. (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Pray for boldness to preach the Gospel and to bear good fruit. (Matthew 28:18)
- Pray that your heart will be surrendered, broken and humbled daily. (Psalm 51:17)
- Pray that you will be protected from all the snares and strategies of the enemy. (Matthew 6:13)
Now if you’ll pardon me, this Gentile is going to make dinner. Can you guess what we’re having?
© 2022 Fluffy Puppy Publishing All Rights Reserved